Wednesday, September 4, 2013

More Changes...

Aw, geez. I hardly know how to begin. Other Rhemalda authors are blogging about this, and Rhemalda Publishing itself has made the announcement so... it's time.

It's with a heavy heart that I sit down to write this post. A very heavy heart. Rhemalda Publishing believed in me and my story with all of the passion and excitement I could have ever hoped for. I had found a home there, and I felt secure that Kaitlyn, Angie, and Julia had found one, too. But in this ever-changing, wild west of the new publishing world, small presses aren't having the easiest time setting up homesteads. Sadly, Rhemalda Publishing announced that they are going out of business.

I am incredibly heartbroken for my Rhemalda family. There is more than just the business-side of things going on, and I know that the unexpected health issues they are facing within their family are as big a part of this decision as anything. My love goes out to them and they will always have my support and friendship.

Rhemalda is run by good people with good hearts, and they were truly in publishing to make writers' dreams come true. They just love books, and love publishing them. I wanted them to succeed not only because it would mean success for my stories, but because they deserve to succeed. Another author and dear friend at Rhemalda told me she wished she had won the lottery and could have gifted Rhemalda with the money so they could just keep doing what they love--publishing books--and not worry about the increasingly broken bookselling industry, profits, or any of the rest.

But unfortunately, there is no winning lottery ticket for Rhemalda. After speaking with the owners, I understand more than ever before how deeply committed they were to making their publishing dreams come true. I completely understand and respect their decision, and I admire them for not filing bankruptcy and not taking the every-man-for-himself route that so many other businesses would have taken. Like I said, they are truly good people.

The fact that they aren't filing for bankruptcy means that Rhemalda authors won't need to worry about our books being held up in legal proceedings. Our rights are all being reverted, and the Rhemalda owners are being phenomenal about giving authors everything we need to move forward with our careers--document files, cover art, formatting help--and they are making themselves available to us and answering all of our questions. Have I mentioned that they are good people? They are great people.

What does this mean for me, though?

Well... I suppose... it means more changes. I already have plenty of change going on in my life. Geez. (Read here for details on this, if you like.) Those changes have been good for me, and maybe in the end, my career changes will be good, too. Either way, I have to face them. The reality is here and my publisher is closing up shop. My books no longer have the safe, secure home they once enjoyed. I have to figure things out on my own now.

I have some big career decisions ahead of me. It feels a little like I'm in survival mode. Like... some great big disaster hit and it's time to take inventory of my resources and see how to forge ahead and come out of everything okay. I'm reminded of The Walking Dead, and how everyone used what skills they had to ensure survival. Except, I'm not dealing with zombies, which is a huge relief. All of these changes and zombies? That would have been way more than I could handle.

Taking stock, I have one book that is published and can be published again. Some Rhemalda authors are choosing to shelve their books, some are self-publishing--some are using new covers, some are leaving everything the same, some are re-editing or releasing a "second edition"--and some are looking for other publishers altogether. I have a lot to think about.

What else... I have a completed sequel that was scheduled to release next year, and is now sitting on my laptop with big, shiny eyes wondering what I'm going to do.

What am I going to do?

I don't feel ready to make any absolute decisions or announcements, yet. I need to think about my resources and abilities, realistically, and figure out what will be best for me and my stories. The only thing I feel certain about is, I won't be shelving Timespell or Timespell the Deuce (as yet, untitled). I don't know how, but, if I found a way to share my work with the world once, I will be able to find a way again.

It isn't in me to lose hope, quit, or walk away. I don't know what I'll do, I admit, but I do now I won't give up on what I love. I'm going to do something. Even if, for now, that "something" is undefined.

Patience is a big part of publishing, and right now I need to get my bearings. I am going to be patient with myself and not force myself into anything I'm not ready for.

My heart goes out to my Rhemalda family. I have treasured every moment of being able to share my stories with the world; it has been a life-changing experience for me. I will be forever grateful to Rhemalda Publishing for everything they have done for me and my story, and I wish them all the very best.

10 comments:

  1. You are facing a lot of changes, but I think you're strong enough to handle it. I hope everything goes up from here! Love you!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3
    I believe in you, and I know you're going to come out on top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're lucky to be going out with such grace and good terms. Big hugs to you. You know I'm here if you need anything. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the closing, Diana. I believe you and your work are strong enough to get where you need to be. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana, I love Timespell and I know you will land on your feet. I'm so sorry to hear about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much love to you and the entire Rhemalda fam. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, everyone! Your support means the world to me. <3

    I've loved being a part of the Rhemalda family and I will cherish every friendship I've made. Here's to the future for us all. :)

    xxoo
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. *hugs* I heard about this and am very sad for you and for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you the best of luck, Diana! With big changes come great opportunities. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete