Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Changes.

Bear with me as I work myself up toward what I'm here to say.  For motivation I find myself reading proverbs on change. People never change. Or people do, depending on which quote I read. Some things don’t change… but some change is inevitable. People grow older. They get new jobs. Children enter new phases and eventually find their own way in life. Yet, as different as the world is now from a century ago, babies still come into the world in much the same way as they ever did. Waves still ebb and crash as they ever have.
 
And here I am, pensive and... at peace, I guess... as I ride the crest of the changes I’ve brought about in my own life. There have been a lot of them over the past few months. A lot. I keep my personal life… well, personal, so I won’t go into details, but it’s enough to say that these changes have led to a big move from the desert back to Los Angeles. A move that involves me, and half the time, my kids. Their dad is making positive changes of his own, too, and those involve being a part of the kids’ life just as much as I am. The kids are what matter most to both of us.
 
Speaking of the munchkins, they love being “city kids” as they’ve dubbed themselves. They like seeing the city’s twinkling lights from my balcony. They like the cool days and chilly nights. They like how happy mommy and daddy are lately. They're excited to be starting at a new school. It seems like these changes are positive for them, too.
 
As for me, I’m closer to my family now, which is good. I like that it’s easy to get to the beach now, to museums, and to hundred-year old parks with gnarled up trees that are great for climbing. I don’t need a car to do most of the things I want to do every day. Life in general is walkable and simple. And pretty.
 
I’ve learned that even if I fight against change, it’s a losing a battle. I’m not the same person I was when I was a teenager, any more than I’m the same person I was when I was a little girl. I don’t regret the choices I made as either a girl or a teenager, and I hope in the decades to come, I can say the same thing about the choices I’m making now. At least... now that the dust has settled, I can say I’ve been happy since my move. Happy on the inside. Considering life’s uncertainties, that much is enough for me.

6 comments:

  1. Those do sound like big changes! I'm happy to hear you finding happiness in all of it though. That's truly the key to a successful and fulfilling life. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. <3 Big huge changes happening left, right, and center but you're right, I'm definitely finding happiness. ~hugs~

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, sweets. I love you too! xxoo

      Delete