Tuesday, December 4, 2012

The Next Big Thing!

Time for some fun! One of my amazing critique partners, Amalia Dillin, tagged me to do The Next Big Thing. It's the latest meme to hit the writerly world, and it gives writers a chance to chit-chat about their work in progress. Here goes!

1. What is your working title of your book? 
Timespell 2? Noooo that's not the title. I am so bad at titles, but my work in progress is the sequel to my first book, Timespell, coming out in April. As of yet, the sequel is untitled!
     
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
Oh dear. It came from the same place my other book ideas come from. The Idea Box inside my head that's always exploding and leaving ideas all over the place, making me want to write new stories when I'm busy doing other things.
  
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Hmm..... YA Fantasy Time Travel-- is that a genre? Timespell 2 has magic, mythology, romance, and pirates. I don't really know exactly what you'd label it.
  
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Oh, fun! Something I never, EVER think about. Ermmm....Ethan could probably be played by a much younger Adrian Grenier... and Julia. Hm hm hm. I don't even know. Selena Gomez back when she was on Wizards of Waverly Place, maybe?
  
5. What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Oh good! Something I have handy (and it WILL be one sentence, thanks to my handy-dandy semicolon insertion device):  In TIMESPELL, the brash and impulsive Julia must team up with her sweet and straight-laced best friend, Angie, and the malicious and power-hungry Kaitlyn in order to keep the witch-like powers of her inheritance, but these powers come at a cost; the girls are bound to serve the Fates, and their first mission sends them back in time to Marie Antoinette’s Paris and eventually, into the chaos and war of the French Revolution.
  
Totally one sentence! It counts!!

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This question is confining, isn't it? My answer is neither. Timespell 2 will follow in the footsteps of the original Timespell novel, and be published without agent representation. I'm not an anti-agenty type, I just don't happen to have an agent handy. Rhemalda Publishing works with agented and unagented authors, and I love my publisher like crazy cakes. <3 <3 I'm All The Squee that they want a sequel!!
  
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Oh, hee hee. I'm still in the drafting stage, actually. Timespell 2 is around 33k presently. I hope to finish drafting by the end of December. I started writing it in earnest in November, so I think this is an attainable goal. We shall see!
  
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
OH YAY ANOTHER THING I NEVER EVER THINK ABOUT. >.< If I were being forced at knife-point to answer this question, I'd say the magic and female-centric world remind me of Libba Bray's A Sweet And Terrible Beauty series, and the demon fighting is reminiscent of  Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. Since I'm not being forced at knife-point, I'd say that I really don't know!

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
....didn't I already mention my 'splodey Idea Box? When my head goes BOOM, IDEA, I have all the inspiration I need.
  
10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest? 
So tricky, since this is a sequel to a book that won't be published until April... Okay. In the first Timespell book, Ethan is grumpy about Many Things, and one of those things is the fact that Julia can summon him up like he's some kind of genie in a bottle. And he HAS to help her. Being yanked through time at some teenager's whim is no way to live. Meanwhile, Julia is utterly confused by him, and she isn't too happy about finding out who the third Daughter of Fate is. Book 2 in the Timespell series picks up where the first book leaves off; the girls are coming to terms with the decisions they've made, while trying to understand how to manage both their magical destinies and their normal lives. The betrayals of the first book tumble forward, even as more secrets come undone and unanticipated complications arise. And did I mention pirates? Those guys don't make anything easier.

Now I get to tag someone. I choose.... Natalie Murphy at The Sound of Rain! She's another one of my awesome critique partners and I love her to pieces. ~smooshes Natalie~ I pasted the questions below, so you can easily copy and paste. Amalia did this for me, which made this so much easier. Have fun! <3

1. What is your working title of your book? 
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
3. What genre does your book fall under?
4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
5. What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?


10 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! PIRATES!!!! Why did I never make Adam a pirate? HE would've been the BEST one!

    I'm so excited for both Timespell AND Timespell 2!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam would have been THE PIRATE. Hmm... what WAS he up to during that time period? ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, pirates. They can really complicate things. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!! And in the best of ways, too!

      Delete
  3. Aww, thank you for tagging me, love! I know I said I was going to put it as my blog post today, but then a bunch of stuff happened last night and I completely forgot about this! I promise I'll do it for next week ;)

    Love ya! xoxoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! This is ALL for fun. :)

      xo

      Delete
  4. Oh, and I'm the exact same way about where my ideas come from. Something might inspire me into a certain genre, but my actual ideas just smack me in the face out of no where ;)

    And I agree that Cassandra Clare's demon fighting is similar to yours. When I read the question I actually thought of her books first for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ideas SERIOUSLY come out of nowhere, LOL! If only I could figure out how, maybe I could control things a little more. :)

      The question about comparing my book with others was really tough! My book is definitely different from Cassandra Clare's series, but at least the demon-fighting is the same. It worked!

      Delete
  5. Reading this reminded me that I'd been tagged as well a while back. *slaps forehead* I enjoyed finding out more about your sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I'm the same way--if I don't sit down and answer this kind of thing right away, I totally forget about it. OOPS! :)

      Delete