Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Story Fling... Or Is It Something More?

For those of you who don't know, I'm currently finishing my second round of revisions, but today I somehow accidentally started a new novel-- which I am setting aside!!! But still, it happened. 

One minute I was writing some harmless flash for my blog, the next I couldn't help wondering if what I'd written had the potential to be something more. *sigh* And already, I can't stop thinking about it.

It seems natural to explore new ideas and see where they lead, even before we're completely finished with our current projects. Recently, my amazing friend and critique partner Tina Lynn (@TinaLynn_) mentioned starting a new story, even though she's in the midst of her own revisions. She said she needed a break to create... maybe we all do sometimes.

I don't know whether or not I'll go back to Nameless New Novel. Things seem promising, but who knows? Either way, I'm not abandoning my current manuscript. I love it and I want all the best for it. I still think it could be The One.... however..... *eyes Nameless New Novel* I do feel a spark ;)

How do you keep yourself from chasing a new story, when you know you still have a long way to go with your current wip? Do you commit to every story you start? Or are you like me, with countless story flings, a few of which go on to become completed manuscripts? 

7 comments:

  1. Funny. I was thinking of blogging about the same thing because I'm struggling with some many new novel ideas but have to focus on my revisions. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a huge advocate of writing creatively while doing revisions. I think it can help the revisions go smoothly. So I say go for it Di! It might not turn into anything huge, but I think you need to keep those juices flowing.=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mind is a market of ideas. I find the best way to handle them all is to just keep a folder of them and while I'm working on one wip, I can fiddle with the ideas when I have the spare time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. Well you know my take on this, but I will admit, I don't like my stories vying for my time. So, I try to push the shiny new idea to the side for as long as possible. It's time will come. But if I get particularly frustrated with my revisions, I will definitely pull that shiny idea out and just "create" again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudo's to you for sticking with your current WIP. At one time it was a 'Shiny New Idea', and it deserves your full attention. My two cents worth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reallllly miss writing when I'm revising, so I totally understand the desire to take a break to create! Sometimes I take a break to create when I'm in the middle of rewriting, even! Right now I'm doing what it sounds like you're doing-- focusing on just short fun things that are mostly just for my own enjoyment, rather than diving into something bigger. But I do have a novel sitting in the back of my mind (okay, three but who's counting?). Unfortunately, I can't seem to shake Theseus and Helen enough to dig in on it yet. bleh.

    What I really need to do is read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this problem often myself. Although the new ideas are very exciting, it can be annoying because you want to be so good and stick with the current WIP.

    With really fun new ideas, I take a few notes (Ok, I lie. I take pages and pages of fiercely scribbled notes.) to get all my thoughts down because I don't want to lose the passion for the idea later, and then when I've gotten enough of it out of my system, I return to the current WIP. Doesn't always work, of course, but it can be helpful. :)

    Good luck with all your stories!

    ReplyDelete